The Pick of the Litter

 Finally worked my way to the final details of the pegs, nut, bridge, and strings. I had decided to go traditional and install violin pegs. It would really look sharp, but make it more difficult to get into exact tune.

To help alleviate this, I allowed for the installation of fine tuning beads at the tail-end of the instrument. Sliding these up and down just a little will pinpoint the pitch. I had seen these on another dulcimer, but this is the first time I have included them in one of my constructions.

 

I tracked down Jasmine, the inspiration for this dulcimer, and introduced her to the new addition to the family.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Unfortunately, the reamer that I used to install the pegs was not the right size. I thought I could sneak up on it, but the force from the strings wouldn’t allow one of the pegs to keep it tight and in tune. Three of them seemed to work fine, but I really like a 4-stringed instrument. I rummaged around and dug out some old metal friction pegs that needed some polishing and a bit of finagling to install, but finally managed the task.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dulcimer #47 is in the books–I have a new instrument to lug around with me. Hmmm…now I need a new carrying case. New project!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.